Many homeowners eventually arrive at a fork in the road. It’s summer, and your air conditioning system has stopped working. You’ll need to either get it repaired by a professional or purchase a new system. But, how do you know which? What decides when you should look for new AC installation or when you should stay the course with your current air conditioner?
The truth is that a number of factors determine how you should move forward, and every AC situation is different. However, we’ve provided some starting points for conversation in this post. Think about these, but also consider talking with one of the experts at Comfort Air. We can provide you with more pointed, specialized advice on your air conditioner.
What are some questions to ask yourself when considering repair?
- What is the age of the air conditioner? If your AC system is less than a decade old, you probably want to have it repaired. After all, most air conditioners can last well past a decade, reaching 15 or even 20 with the right kind of maintenance. By replacing the system, you could be shorting yourself on the number of years you get out of your air conditioner. Instead, consider investing in the repair and then regular maintenance every year. You may be surprised by how long your air conditioner lasts!
- What kind of repair is needed? Talk to your technician about the prospective repair. If it’s a relatively minor issue—or, at least, one that isn’t likely to ever happen again—it might be better to make the repair. However, if your repair is likely to be recurring or impact the performance of your system moving forward, that may move the needle closer to the decision to replace the air conditioner.
- Do you like your air conditioner? This is more important than you might think. If your AC system meets your expectations and you like the cooling it provides your home, it may be worth putting the money into repairing it, especially if it’s not older than ten years.
How do you know if you should replace your AC system?
- Are you satisfied with your current energy bills? Keep in mind that your heating and cooling systems make up the largest chunk of your overall energy costs, so savings in this area could mean a much smaller bill at the end of the month. Today’s new air conditioners are far more energy efficient than those that came before them, meaning that an upgrade to a new system from Comfort Air could mean savings.
- Are you comfortable in your home? If not, you may need a system that provides more cooling power. After all, why even have an air conditioner if you’re not going to be able to enjoy it? A new AC installation from Comfort Air could be the key.
Trust Comfort for your repair (or AC installation)
Whether you decide that you’ll be keeping your air conditioner a little longer or that it’s time for an upgrade to a brand-new system, Comfort Air makes it easy. Just give us a call and we’ll help you with whatever you need. You can also schedule your service with us.